Galileo Global Equity Advisors Inc. was founded in 2000 by Michael Waring. For over 25 years, Michael has been one of Canada’s go-to portfolio managers for specialized investing.
Under his auspices, Galileo has grown into a strong, niche player in the Canadian investment community, building its team – and reputation – by delivering alpha, or a high return in excess of risk assumed.
Before forming Galileo in 2000, Michael was a vice-president, director and portfolio manager at KBSH Capital Management Inc., a private investment management firm with over $10 billion under management. Michael obtained his MBA from the University of Western Ontario and is a member of the Toronto CFA Society.
Galileo Funds excels because of precision. We qualify only a limited number of hand picked securities for our funds, following exhaustive due diligence.
Because the securities we buy are normally off the radar screens of brokerage firm analysts, we employ an independent buying process that is unparalleled in its intensity.
Simply put, we go way beyond the balance sheet to assess each portfolio candidate for quality of management and strategy. From Canada’s oil patch to the corporate offices lining the streets of Bogotá, Columbia, we scrutinize key investments from the ground up, no matter where the company is based.
But it’s not just what we buy that creates value. It’s that we are disciplined sellers, moving to take profits when other investors move in to capture the value we recognized early.
Through a decidedly active, bottom up approach focused on small and mid-sized companies, we deliver alpha.
Points of Distinction
Not all mutual funds are the same. To get a clearer picture of the important differences, compare our philosophy with our competitors.
- we specialize by focusing our resources on a limited number of funds – and a limited number of securities per fund – because the evidence proves this is the right way to build wealth over time
- we don’t try to be a core manager, we complement the activities of other portfolios that our clients typically hold
- we seek alpha because we think what matters is absolute returns; we don’t get excited because we beat the index (because good relative performance does not build wealth or pay for retirement)
- we stay active, which means buying and trimming positions at the most opportune times in the business cycle
- we think mutual fund management fees should be lower, so we did something about it: our management fees are less than 2%, which is unrivalled for the level of active management we provide.